Originally posted 2015-10-29 12:12:41.
How about a salad that literally tastes like eating a great big cheeseburger???!?! Yup I’m in! We found this when we first starting our eating better journey, and it’s been a regular ever since!!
Original recipe: BBQ Burger Salad
- 1 ½ lbs ground beef
- 1-2 heads of romaine lettuce, torn into pieces
- 1 slice of bacon per serving, cooked and crumbled (if you are serving 4, you’d need 4 bacon slices)
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes or 3 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 dill pickle spear per serving, diced (if you are serving 4, you’d need 4 dill pickle halves), diced
- ½ heaping cup BBQ sauce*1 ½ T yellow mustard
- 1 ½ T dijon mustard or spicy mustard
- Optional ingredients: grated cheddar cheese if you tolerate dairy
If you click on the link, they have a recipe for primal inspired bbq sauce, we just used regular bold bbq sauce.
All you do is simply cook the ground beef, and once it is cooked add the bbq sauce and the two mustard’s. Mix well. Scoop the hamburger mix onto a bed of lettuce, and add all the other toppings listed!! So easy, yet soooo good!
We actually don’t even bother reading the ingredients anymore, I had no idea it called for one spear of pickles! We generally eat this as an entire meal, so it almost fills the plate with veggies! We cut up pickles, many tomatoes, and crumble a few pieces of bacon on top. Then top it all off with grated cheese! Happy eating!