Originally posted 2010-02-23 16:32:51.
Lets start with the basics. Over the years there has been a lot of changes to the Restoration Tree and where the points go. Today, there are some very essential talents in the Balance tree that one should be picking up as well. This is currently the spec that I am running with: http://www.wowarmory.com/talent-calc.xml?cid=11&tal=0532013100300000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000230033312031500531050313051 . I find that it gives me the spell haste bonuses along with the solid resto talents.
- Improved Mark of the Wild – 2/2 Increases the effects of your Mark of the Wild and Gift of the Wild spells by 40%, and increases all of your total attributes by 2%.
- Nature’s Focus – 3/3 Reduces the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting Healing Touch, Wrath, Entangling Roots, Cyclone, Nourish, Regrowth and Tranquility by 70%.
- Subtlety – 3/3 Reduces the threat generated by your restoration spells by 30% and reduces the chance your healing over time spells will be dispelled by 30%. Some people feel that this talent is not necessary, sadly it is because of all the threat that druids pull. Each HoT is ticking and causing more and more threat, over time this builds up so the 30% reduction is a must.
- Natural Shapeshifter– 5/5 Reduces the mana cost of all shapeshifting by 30%
- Intensity – 3/3 Allows 50% of your mana regeneration to continue while casting and causes your Enrage ability to instantly generate 10 rage.
- Omen of Clarity – 1/1 Each of the druid’s damage, healing spells and auto attacks has a chance of causing the caster to enter a Clearcasting state. The Clearcasting state reduces the Mana, Rage or Energy cost of your next damage, healing spell or offensive ability by 100%.
- Master Shapeshifter – 2/2 Tree form – Increases healing by 4%
- Improved Rejuvenation – 3/3 Increases the effect of your Rejuvenation spell by 15%.
- Nature’s Swiftness – 1/1 Instant, 3 min cooldown. When activated, your next Nature spell with a casting time of less than 10 sec becomes an instant cast spell.
- Gift of Nature – 5/5 Increases the effect of all healing spells by 10%.
- Nature’s Bounty – 5/5 Increases the critical effect chance of your Regrowth and Nourish spells by 25%.
- Living Spirit – 3/3 – Increases your total Spirit by 15%.
- Swiftmend – 1/1 16% of base Mana, 40 yd range, instant cast, 15 sec cooldown. Consumes a Rejuvenation or Regrowth effect on a friendly target to instantly heal them an amount equal to 12 sec of Rejuvenation or 18 sec of Regrowth.
- Empowered Rejuvenation – 5/5 The bonus healing effects of your healing over time spells is increased by 20%
- Revitalize – 3/3 Your Rejuvenation spell has a 15% chance to restore 8 Energy, 4 Rage, 1% Mana or 16 Runic Power per tick.
- Tree of Life – 1/1 28% of base Mana, Instant cast. Shapeshift into the Tree of Life. While in this form you increase healing received by 6% for all party and raid members within 45 yards, and you can only cast Restoration, Innervate and Barkskin spells, but the mana cost of your healing over time spells is reduced by 20%.
- Improved Tree of Life – 3/3 Increases your Armor while in Tree of Life Form by 200%, and increases your healing spell power by 15% of your spirit while in Tree of Life Form.
- Gift of the Earthmother – 5/5 Reduces the base global cooldown of your Rejuvenation, Lifebloom and Wild Growth spells by 20%.
- Wild Growth – 1/1 23% of base Mana, 40 yd range, instant cast. Heals up to 5 friendly party or raid members within 15 yards of the target for 1442 over 7 sec. The amount healed is applied quickly at first, and slows down as the Wild Growth reaches its full duration.
- Genesis – 5/5 Increases the damage and healing done by your periodic damage and healing effects by 5%.
- Moonglow – 3/3 Reduces the Mana cost of your Moonfire, Starfire, Starfall, Wrath, Healing Touch, Regrowth and Rejuvenation spells by 9%.
- Nature’s Majesty – 2/2 Increases the critical strike chance of your Wrath, Starfire, Starfall, Nourish, and Healing Touch spells by 4%.
- Brambles – 1/3 Increases damage caused by your Thorns and Entangling Roots spells by 75% and damage done by your treants by 15%. In addition, damage from your Treants and attacks done to you while you have Barksin active have a 15% chance to daze the target for 3 sec.
- Nature’s Grace – 3/3 All spell crits have a 100% chance to grace you with a blessing of nature, decreasing spell casting time by 20% for 3 seconds.
- Nature’s Splendor – 1/1 Increases the duration of your Moonfire and Rejuvenation spells by 3 sec, your Regrowth spell by 6 sec, and your Insect Swarm and Lifebloom spells by 2sec.
- Celestial Focus – 3/3 Reduces the pushback suffered from damaging attacks while casting Starfire, Hibernate and Hurricane by 70% and increases your total spell haste by 3%.
Celestial Focus is a very useful talent with the changes to haste, basically making it more effective for druids. Today, druids only need a 735 spell haste with this talent as compared to 856 without this talent. The only reason there is only one point in Brambles is so that I could get Celestial Focus, not much else in the Balance Tree is useful as Resto. I know Revitalize is a talent that some Druids leave out, but my testing has found it to be very useful. Though it is only a minor gain of Energy, Runic Power, Mana, or Rage there have been times where other raid members have been baffled as to how quickly and often this 15% chance occurs.
After much debate, I have decided against getting the Living Seed talent. Yes it provides an extra HoT on the target, but the amount of the HoT is only 30% more healing on the target. However, it seems more effective to take the talents to get Celestial Focus, that is until you are at the soft haste cap. Once you hit 856 spell haste, then you can take those points out of the Balance Tree and place them in the Resto Tree. You can pick up extra talents like Living Seed and Empowered Touch.
I have found that using this grouping of talents has made me an effective raid healer.