I made this recipe for the first time last week. It was pretty tasty and easy to make as well. I hope you all enjoy!
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained ( OPTIONAL )
- 8 flour tortillas (8 inches), warmed
- 1 cup salsa
- Reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese and reduced-fat sour cream, optional ( we used Ranch and Thousand Island dressing )
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil. Add rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand for 5 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute green pepper and onion in oil for 3-4 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chili powder, cumin and pepper flakes until combined. Add beans and rice; cook and stir for 4-6 minutes or until heated through.
- Spoon about 1/2 cup of filling off-center on each tortilla; top with 2 tablespoons salsa. Fold sides and ends over filling and roll up. Serve with cheese and sour cream if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
- We added an extra step, by folding them like a quesadilla and frying them for 2 minutes on each side.